Saturday, August 20, 2005

Spilling out of the box...

Well, there it is, or at least the start of what has to be the most ingenious promotion ever to hit the funny pages. In today's Orlando Sentinel, the first part of a huge roll-out (brought to my attention by Marisol, one of our constant readers, as Stephen King might say) to celebrate the anniversary of Blondie and Dagwood. Just across from "Blondie" as the couple prepares for hairstyling, Jon and Garfield have just gotten an invitation to the party delivered by none other than Dagwood himself - while little boy Elmo delivers to Pasquale (What, Rose and Jimbo aren't invited? This stirs up the bluster amongst those who feared not getting an invitation). And though it would seem that the celebration isn't until next month, Pasquale's already set off with gifts (though Jon and Garfield's invitation states "no gifts.")

Obviously, this is already a lot of fun, and I'd rather not go looking for the official answers and instead wait more fun surprises like these two. I'm sure our little paper is missing out on some of the other "deliveries" today, so if you've spotted any - please hook a brother up here!

Just wondering if the kids from "Boondocks" got invited. 'Cause you know if they didn't, there's gonna be a press conference with Jesse Jackson, standing in solidarity with Baldo and other "Toons Of Color." Wouldn't that be something? It's times like these that I wish I was a skilled cartoonist!

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Marisol said...

I am a geek who is geeked!

I will definitely keep you posted of any crossovers in my comics page. I'm going to have to look at that Garfield strip online. I can't bring myself to buy Rupert Murdoch's New York Post and my paper doesn't have it.

If the folks over at Blondie are smart, and I suspect they are, there should be some sort of anniversary book coming out soon thereafter with anything we might have missed.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Bing Futch said...

It sounds like a sure thing - what a great idea!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home