Thursday, April 07, 2005

Gag Me!

Though I agree to a degree with the decree from Wiley regarding gaggery, I must say that a great gag is gold. Schulz was a master at this, letting the imagery do the talking and bringing it all down with a masterful verbal punchline. My favorite of all time dates back to probably the 60's. Snoopy and Linus are sitting on a bench enjoying a bag of chocolates. They each eat one and then swoon simultaneously with a lusty "Mmmmmmmm." In the final panel, Charlie Brown shows up and Linus explains: "chocolate creams." The next strip features the same setting as Snoopy and Linus partake of the goodie bag. Then comes the swoon, "Mmmmmmmm" followed by horrified looks on both of their faces accompanied by an exclamation of "Bleagh!" As Charlie Brown shows up once again, Linus explains: "chocolate creams.....with a little bit of coconut."

Bam! Never fails to get me tittering.

Today's "Classic Peanuts" is along those same lines as Linus and Violet (who makes rare appearances these days) stroll past Snoopy, whose head is sticking out of a hole in the ground. In the second panel, his head has disappeared while Violet sort of looks out into space as if to say, "did I just see...?" Third panel finds her startled by the reappearance of a widely grinning Snoopy. As he vanishes again in the final panel, Linus explains: "prarie dogs are making a comeback."

Bam! Chuck was a genius.

Likewise, Pat Brady and Don Wimmer, the team behind "Rose Is Rose" are delightful not only for their unabashed positivity, but also their cheerful embracing of the fantastic. Witness how they turn into little kids when exhibiting or experiencing feelings or situations that regress them instantly. Talk about being in touch with your inner child! Today's dose of arachnophobia certainly hit home with me (though I'm not a sissy about it, I just tend to give them a very wide berth since one put me in the hospital some years back!)

And please tell me that Alex is not seriously considering enlisting. She's a little smarter than that, I think. The debate over "should she?" or "shouldn't she" rages over at the "Doonesbury" Blowback.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home