Thursday, March 24, 2005

Everything's Relative

I've been watching "Luann" deal with the rigors of high school since 1978, which is to say that she's either in a state of suspended animation (ha-ha) or that time moves super-slow in that strip. This kind of time continuum is present in a few comics that feature perpetually ageless characters that never seem to age one bit. Strips like "Dennis The Menace" and "Beetle Bailey" are stuck in a universe that preserves them simply as they are - only their lines change ever-so-subtly due to the aging of the artist. Other strips, like "For Better Or For Worse" handle change with admirable aplomb, aging characters before our eyes - growing them up, giving them children and marriages. It truly is one of the best strips out there today, and this week, young April, who is certainly growing up right before our eyes, is finally about to give the superficial and shallow Becky her very valuable two cents.

"Sally Forth" this week is diving into the past when Sally and Ted first met - and I have to wonder, is she the most sarcastic and snide woman in comics today? Ted is some guy, to be able to not only put up with that, but to return fire. I like Sally, but I'd love to see a strip that gets into some origins with her. What makes her that way?

And did I miss something with "For Better Or For Worse"? According to "Mother Goose And Grimm", I did. When did "the dog" die? After a little research, I realized that the current sheepdog, Edgar, is the son of Farley, whom did indeed perish while saving young April from a river (I missed that one!) Thankfully, the site's archives helped me to catch up. Poignant and amazing stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home