Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Draw!

For some reason this week, I've been paying a lot of attention to simply the way comics are drawn. The colors that are used, the styles ranging from sketchy rough to photorealistically smooth - characteristics of faces and landscapes. Some things that stick out to me are:

*The way the eyes of characters in "For Better Or Worse" seem to bug out.

*The masterful use of color and shading in the panels of "Classic Peanuts."

*The humans in "Mutts" have a decidedly "Popeye" look to them.

*"Mother Goose and Grimm" has fun with pop-culture figures in its own way, but today's clever rendering of Alice and the White Rabbit was not only clever, but stunning in its mimicry (original illustrations, not the Disney versions.)

*Both "Zits" and "Rose Is Rose" take delight in skewing perpectives, tilting angles and going beyond the edges of frames.

*No matter how progressive it gets, "Blondie" remains a classic-looking strip - as in the good ol' days. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Marisol said...

I'm always surprised how "Mutts" is able to be so effective and funny and cute because the artwork is very simple. It's one of my new favorites.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Bing Futch said...

Aye, I agree with you - "Mutts" seemed to come out of nowhere, but quickly became classic for me. Who's your favorite character?

Though I love the two main protagonists, I'm quite fond of the squirrels who are likewise fond of dropping acorns on the heads of people and animals below. Comedy = truth!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home