Friday, May 20, 2005

And now for something completely different....

...a man with three buttocks! (Wait a sec......)

Well, now we've got Red Meat, which is printed in our "liberal" rag The Orlando Weekly and features a character named "Bug-Eyed Carl." Subversive, twisted strips like this take me back to growing up on The L.A. Weekly and comics like "Angriest Dog In The World" (by director David Lynch) and "Ernie Pook's Comeek" (Lynda Barry is so very #1 for my sweet bottom!), which I've now added to my blogroll here.

I love the sometimes innocent and only slightly subversive strips that appear in the mainstream papers and online, but like mainstream news, there is always something missing if you don't get the whole picture. These types of strips are in abundance all over the web, but few of them get much print publication, which is too bad. Sardonic and sick as some might be, it certainly balances the sugary sweetness of most funny page sections.

Though I just can't see Zippy The Pinheaded Clown sharing space with "The King Of Id." Then again......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home